Tuesday, July 31, 2007

iPhone Software 1.0.1. brings JavaScript performance improvements?

Ok, I haven't properly benchmarked this yet or anything, but today's 1.0.1. update to the iPhone software (available via iTunes) seems to have made JavaScript runs noticeably faster on my iPhone.

As you can imagine, I've been testing and using OneTrip on an iPhone for a month now, and I'm pretty familiar with the way it "feels". The slowest operation is checking and unchecking an item from the shopping list; this used to be mildly frustrating. After today's update, though, it feels faster to me.

Now, I'll throw a heap of a salt on this because Apple doesn't claim any performance improvements for this update - it's just a security patch, as far as we know. But, the darn thing runs faster - I swear.

What do you think? Have you noticed the change? Am I just making it up?

P.S. Sorry about the lack of updates in the past few weeks. I'm considering some new strategies for OneTrip, and you might or might not see some big changes soon!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nope, still the same for me. What I would love to see is the list stay put when I check something off and not jump up th the second item. This is a pain when you have a long list. Edge use can be very painful too. Maybe an edge friendly version would be cool.

William Bockus said...

I think this app is great. The only addition I would make is te ability to enter a quantity of an item (How many of an item is needed). Bill

Enzie Shahmiri said...

It loads pretty fast on my IPhone and I love the colorful layout. I just wish there was a way to store the shopping list until you are ready to head to the store. In other words on Monday I might add eggs, Tuesday bread and butter and finally head to the store on Friday with my already saved list. Please keep me posted when it's possible to save the list.

Thanks!

mtkoren said...

I am extremely frustrated -- after testing this very promising app for three weeks today was the big test with a major errors spree -- suddenly and inexplicable and FOR THe FIRST time the app dumped my prized list and also all my saved items and started me off blank in the middle of my running around, So here I am recalling all items to paper and wondering how far I would need to go to trust a web app again. DoI decided that rather than get it all done I would sound the warning alarm here and now.

There is clearly more work needed

Michael

Michael Czeiszperger said...

brilliant! Really, really useful.

I'm sure its a challenge to write an app. that only runs in a browser and doesn't use the network all of the time, and this thing is beautifully designed.

If you ever get around to working on it again, may I suggest:

1. Being able to add an item to the category that isn't there already. The current "add to" button just adds the item to the current list, not the category for future use.

2. It would be great if there was a way to store pre-set lists, since 50% of my grocery items are the same thing every week.

Thanks for publishing this..

Linda Blakely said...

I agree 100% with everything that Michael Czeiszperger said (including the suggestions). It is a wonderful app, thank you for developing it AND making it FREE :-D