Friday, February 1, 2008

Wii web apps

Like many American households, we've been trying to score a Nintendo Wii for a while. Finally the craigslist fairy brought us one the other day, and like every self-respecting geek, I spent most of that day checking out everything in the software other than the games. The Opera browser (Internet Channel, available for 5000 points/$5 in the WiiWare store) immediately grabbed my attention. It takes only a few minutes of use to see that it faces a lot of the same problems as iPhone: a fairly small screen, limited function set, and a need for creative zooming. It solves most of these quite well - I wouldn't sit on my sofa and peruse Wikipedia for too long, but for updates in Google Reader, it's great.

Another thing that's great on it - iPhone web apps. Most of the ones I've checked out work great. Have a look at mine - pull up http://onetrip.org/apps on your Wii. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

No comments: